Monday, February 22, 2010

Cheddar, Bacon, and Onion Mashed Potatoes




I needed a side to go along with my weight watchers pepper steak, and mashed potatoes was the first thing that came to mind. Being that I was making a low calories main dish, I wanted to try to find a side (preferably mashed potatoes) that would also fall into that same category.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found this recipe. The fact that they were so devilish good, but yet so heavenly low in calories makes my mouth water. My husband and I loved this recipe. It was the perfect side for the pepper steak.

This recipe has made it's way into my regular rotation.

Recipe adapted from the "Pillsbury Family Pleasing Recipes" cookbook

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

2 slices of turkey bacon
4 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut into quarters (I like to use unpeeled red potatoes)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon of pepper (to taste I tend to use a little more than that)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (original recipe calls for 1/8teaspoon but I don't think it gives enough garlic taste)
1/2 cup of milk heated (I use 2% to save calories and fat)
2 tablespoon chopped green onions
1/2 shredded cheddar cheese (I used fat-free)

WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO DO:


Cook bacon until crisp, then crumble bacon and set aside.

Place potatoes in medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to medium low and boil gently for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes break apart easily, when pierced with fork.

Drain potatoes well.

Mash potatoes until no lumps remain.

Add salt, pepper and milk, continue mashing until potatoes are smooth.

Spoon potatoes into a medium bowl, and top with green onions, cheese and crumbled bacon.

Nutrition Information per serving (This is based on regular milk and regular cheese... if you are like myself and make the adjustments then the nutrition information regarding fat and calories will be less.)

serving size 3/4 cup Calories 180 Calories from fat 60, Sat Fat 4g, carbs 22g, Fiber 1g, Protein 7g Sugars 3g

1 comment:

  1. yum! you can't go wrong with potatoes, cheese and bacon! :-)

    ReplyDelete