Friday, February 5, 2010

Weight Watchers Cream of Broccoli Soup


Being that my husband was having his wisdom teeth pulled and wasn't going to he able to eat/chew for a few days I wanted to make something that he could just swallow besides giving him ice cream and milkshakes all weekend.

Not only is this recipe delicious and packed with nutrients, it can also be ready in less than an hour. The fat free milk does help thin the soup, yet it adds a little extra creaminess goodness.

Yields 4 servings (I like double this recipe so I have extra soup for the week.)

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

1 1/2 Tablespoons of canola oil
1 onion chopped (this can be a rough chop because it will be going into the blender)
1 small carrot peeled and rough chopped
1/2 stock of celery chopped
3/4 teaspoon on thyme (I leave this out because my husband isn't a fan of it)
1 lb broccoli florets
3 cups of fat free low sodium chicken broth (I make my own)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup fat-free milk (I use 2 percent)
3/4 teaspoon of salt (you might need to add a little more)
1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper

In a large sauce over medium heat, heat oil and add onion carrots and celery and thyme.

stir for about 5 minutes until veggies begin to soften.

Add chicken broth and increase heat to high. Once the broth begins to boil add broccoli.

bring to a boil and then turn heat to medium low cover and simmer until the broccoli is tender about 20 minutes.

Remove from heat and add lemon juice let cool for 10 minutes.

Transfer to a blender in batches and puree.

Return the soup to the saucepan over medium heat.

Add milk, salt and pepper, cook stirring occasionally, until hot for another 4-5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment