Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Caramelized Onions and Spinach Risotto


So this is my second time making Risotto and this recipe was even better than that first. NOT to say that the first recipe wasn't good... if you ask my husband and son they would say they liked both recipes. I'm just partial to caramelized onions.

Last night I was planning on making baked Mac and Cheese to go with Pork-Chops I had taken out, but to be honest I wasn't in the mood for Mac and Cheese, nor was I in the mood to wash a million dishes. This recipe only took the pot where I cooked the risotto and the sauce pan to heat the chicken broth. Which saved me a lot of clean up time.

Thanks to Mary Ellen for sharing this recipe with me. Link to her amazing food blog below.

http://mecookingcreations.blogspot.com

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

1 large onion sliced thin (I like red onions but can be made with any kind)
3 cloves raw garlic minced
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter (2 tbsp for the risotto and 2 for the onions)
1/4 cup dry white wine
5 cups low sodium chicken broth, warmed (I use homemade broth, but you can use canned)
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup fresh chopped spinach (I use less ONLY 1/2 cup because I don't care for it and my husband can't have too much because of his gout)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (I ended up using about 1/4 C Parmesan because I ran out of... but it still came out creamy.)
Salt and pepper to taste

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

Caramelize the onions with butter in a pan over medium heat.

Stir until golden brown, and then add your minced garlic, be careful not to ot to burn the onions.

Add the rice; stir for 1-2 minutes.

Add the white wine and stir until it is absorbed.

Add the chicken broth 1 ladle-full at a time, letting it fully absorb before adding more.

When your final ladle of broth is halfway absorbed, add the cheese and the two tablespoons of butter one tablespoon at a time.

Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

The final result is you have a yummy Risotto that will go well with just about anything. I think Risotto is slowly becoming one of my favorite sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment