Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Carne Adovada


I would have never thought of making this dish on my own. I had a 3lb pork shoulder in my freezer that I wanted to use up, and both my husband and I weren't in the mood for pulled pork again so soon. I then, turned to the ladies on the nest and BridgetMc posted this recipe which appeared to be something completely different from anything I had ever made. Needless to say...I was so excited to try something new.

Not only is this recipe easy and tasty, but its also lite and not fatty. My husband and I enjoyed this so much that I can't wait to make it again.

FYI....This is a spicy recipe so if you have stomach issues, or do not like spicy foods, then this recipe is not for you.

Thanks Bridget!

Recipe from BridgetMc blog link below
http://www.crumblycookie.net/2009/11/18/carne-adovada/

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
16-18 dried red chili pods
hot water
3 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons salt (adjust salt to taste, I had to add more)
1 tablespoon dried oregano (I omitted this because I didn't have any in the house)
4 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed of thick layer of fat and sliced ½-inch thick

Remove stems and seeds from the chile pods (I left the seeds, because we like spicy foods.)

Place the chile in a large bowl add enough hot water to cover them.

Soak for 1 hour. Strain, reserving the soaking liquid.

Place the chiles, garlic, and salt in a blender and add enough soaking liquid to just cover.

Blend until the skins disappear and the mixture is smooth, 2-3 minutes.

Pour the sauce over meat, cover tightly, and marinate in the refrigerator for 24-28 hours. (I ended up marinating the meat for over 36 hours and it gave the pork a wonderful flavor.)

Directions for baking in oven... heat the oven to 350ºF.

Place the meat and chile sauce marinade in a baking pan and cover tightly with foil.

Bake the carne adovada until the meat is falling apart tender, about 4 hours.

Directions and the way I made it...crock-pot carne adovada cook on low heat for 7-9 hours.

When the meat is done, shred it or cut it into 1-inch pieces. Serve with your favorite Mexican sides. I served this with yellow rice and guacamole. Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I really need to try a longer marinating time; I've only done overnight in the past. I can't wait to see what kind of flavor that gives the pork! I'm so glad you guys enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW that looks delicious! I've been craving tacos lately and that looks just divine! :)

    ReplyDelete