Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Turkey Meatballs


I'm not sure if I have mentioned this before, but I hate using ground beef. I think I serve my family enough red meat that I would rather make meatballs with turkey, and have done so for the passed 3 years now.

I know what your thinking..."Aren't the meatballs going to be dry?" Well the answer to that question is NO WAY! In fact I think turkey meatballs are juicier. One of the best things about this recipe is you're saving on calories by using a leaner meat. I promise that no one will notice the difference, and if they do it will be because the meatballs taste better.

You REALLY need to try this recipe. Once you try it, you'll be addicted to turkey meatballs and will never use ground beef again.

This recipe is something that I came up with after years of playing around trying to perfect "the perfect turkey meatball"

This recipe yields a large batch of meatballs


WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
3 slices white bread, crust removed
1/4 cup milk (I use 2%)
2 pounds ground turkey
half a red pepper finely chopped (you can use more or omit all together)
1 large egg
about 3/4 cup of bread crumbs (you might need to add more, read below for more info)
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley leaves
2 cloves minced garlic,
Salt to taste
ground black pepper
2 jars of your favorite pasta sauce
olive oil, for pan-frying (just enough to cover the bottom of the skillet)


WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO DO:

In a bowl, soak white bread with the milk. Let soak for 1 minute then remove the bread and squeeze out most of the milk.

In another bowl, add ground turkey, parsley, garlic, diced red pepper, egg, and salt and pepper.

Add milk soaked bread tearing it apart, as you add it, mix all ingredients gently. (Make sure not to over mix)

You will note that the mixture is very wet, so you will now add the bread crumbs. If you feel that the mixture is still too wet add more. Be careful not to add to much, you still want your mixture to me moist and sticky.

Form meat mixture into 1 1/2-inch meatballs. I have found that using a pampered chef medium scoop works wonderfully, and saves you a ton of time.

In a large preheated heavy skillet add olive oil and let heat. Add meatballs and cook until you get a nice golden brown color on all sides.

Remove the meatballs to a paper towel lined platter.

Repeat in batches until there are no remaining meatballs.

Add meatballs to the cooked sauce and add salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for 10 minutes.

After the 10 minutes you can serve your Turkey Meatballs over your favorite pasta, or make your own meatball sub. ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. What a great recipe! I've never tried turkey meatballs. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete