Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Caramelized Red Onion, and Broccoli Risotto



I have to admit, I'm now on a new risotto kick. Tonight for dinner I made grilled flank steak and I wanted to make a nice risotto to go with it. So I decided that I would try to make a new risotto dish with some of the ingredients I had on hand. The end product was yummy and I will for sure make this again.



WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

1 large onion sliced thin (I like red onions but can be made with any kind)
3 cloves raw garlic minced
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter (2 tbsp for the risotto and 2 for the onions)
1/4 cup dry white wine
3 cups low sodium chicken broth, warmed (I use homemade broth, but you can use canned)
1 cup of milk (I use 2%)
half a lemon zest
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup of fresh chopped broccoli
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

Caramelize the onions with butter in a pan over medium heat.

Stir until golden brown, and then add your minced garlic, be careful not to burn the onions nor the garlic.

Add the rice; stir for 1-2 minutes.

Add the white wine and stir until it is absorbed.

Add the chicken broth 1 ladle-full at a time, letting it fully absorb before adding more.

When the rice is 75% the way cooked add your broccoli crowns and the lemon zest.

Add milk and once milk is halfway absorbed, add the cheese and the two tablespoons of butter one tablespoon at a time.

Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. ohhh man this looks good! cheesy rice goodness with carmelized onion & broccoli! this is like heaven on a plate in my book! :-)

    ReplyDelete