Monday, March 15, 2010

Weight Watchers White Chicken Chili




So a few months ago I couldn't get over the amount of food (leftovers), I was tossing each week. I hate wasting, and to see perfectly good meals go to waste upsets me. One day I found myself doing the math and found that, my husband was spending over $2,000 a year on lunches during the week. That total doesn't even include hundreds that I was tossing out at the end of each week. Granted it's not a lot of money, but just picture taking $2,500 dollars and burning it. You would never do that, so why would you toss it into the trash?

This set me on a mission to save money on lunches. My goal was to come up with meals that would leave us with leftovers, so we could at least pack a lunch 2-3 times a week. Needless to say, I haven't tossed much food out over the passed few months and we have saved a few hundred dollars on lunches.

I think the key is making dishes that you like and don't mind reheating. For example soups, chowders, stews, and of course chilies are one of the best things you can make for reheating purposes. This recipe is so good, and packed with flavor, that I found it to be better the second day. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

Happy cooking!

Makes 9 cups

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

1 pound chicken breasts, diced
14 ounces chicken broth
2 tablespoons (I use unsalted)
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Pepper to taste
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 large carrot chopped
2 celery ribs chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
8 ounces canned chopped mild green chilies
2 tablespoons flour
28 ounces canned white beans, rinsed
14 ounces canned corn, including liquid (I omitted this because I do not like corn)
14 ounces canned red kidney beans
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 cups fat-free half ‘n’ half
½ cup sour cream (I use fat free)
½ teaspoon Tabasco
Garnish with chopped cilantro (I omitted this because I'm not a fan of cilantro)

WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO DO:

Cook chicken in splash of the chicken broth in a Dutch oven over medium heat until cooked. (If you do not have one, just cook the chicken in a regular pot, it works just as well)

Heat remaining broth in microwave.

Transfer chicken into a dish to hold while you prepare the rest of the chili.

Melt butter with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.

Add onion, red pepper, celery, carrot, garlic and chilies; cook until onion is soft.

Stir in flour; cook 1 minute.

Stir in hot broth, chicken, beans, and vinegar.

Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 90 minutes.

Stir in half ‘n’ half, sour cream and Tabasco; rewarm but do not boil.

Serve and enjoy!

NUTRITION ESTIMATE Per Cup: 261 Cal; 7g Tot Fat; 3g Sat Fat; 32g Carb; 5g Fiber; 1013mg Sodium; 44mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 5 points

No comments:

Post a Comment