Sunday, November 29, 2009

Mount Rainier Macaroons


One day my husband and I were at the store doing our grocery shopping and he picks up a box of macaroons... you know the ones there the bottoms are dipped in chocolate. Anyway I told him to put them back because they looked old, and that if he really wanted some then I would make it myself. His response was "you always say you know how to make it... but you never seem to make it for me". So this year I decided that I would bake him a batch just to prove him wrong.

I think the day that I baked them my husband was so happy, he finished them all within a 3 day span. This whole process does take some time BUT it is an easy recipe. I would recommended that you do not try to make it all in one day and break it up by making the mixture and baking the macaroons one day, then would make the topping the next day. If you do decided to make them let me know how they turn out. I would love to hear your feedback.

This recipe yields 3 dozen cookies!

INGREDIENTS
3 Large eggs
1/2 Sugar (I use about a little less seeing that it is topped with chocolate)
1 cup butter melted and cooled slightly
14oz sweetened coconut flakes
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup flour
12oz bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
1 cup white chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS
Whisk eggs and sugar together in large saucepan until mixture thickens. Add butter slowly, whisking to blend. Gently mix in coconut and vanilla extract with wooden spoon. Sprinkle flour evenly over mixture and blend well.

Place pan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thock and dry. (will take about 10 minutes) Transfer mixture to large bowl cover and refrigerate until cool. (this will take another 3 to 4 hours)

Preheat oven to 350 shape dough into small mountain shapes (I use my medium pampered chef scoop for this and it works great!) Place on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Bake 18 to 22 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Melt bittersweet chocolate in small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. dip pointy ends of macaroons in chocolate leaving only a small area around the bottom exposed. Place cookies on wax paper and let stand until chocolate is firm. Melt white chocolate over low heat. Dip top points of each cookie in white chocolate to add the "snow cap" Allow white chocolate to set at least 3 hours.

After that enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment