Sunday, November 29, 2009

Baked Mac and Cheeses w/ Ham and Broccoli


I have never been a huge fan of Mac and Cheese, however my husband lived on the blue boxed Mac and Cheese throughout college and until this day he can never get enough. After reading the label on the box I told him that I would never buy that stuff again. I decided that I would try to create something a little more "healthy" without all the additives. I think I have become successful and coming up with a recipe that will satisfy my husband's "cravings" and also satisfy me in the fact that I found a way of getting him and my son to eat extra veggies.

INGREDIENTS
1 lb box of elbow mac you can use wheat or white pasta (I only use whole wheat)
5 Tbls of unsalted butter
5 Tblp of flour
5 cups of milk (I use 2% and it comes out great)
2 Tbls salt
1 Tbls of cracked black pepper (optional)
1 lb grated cheese (I used 2% cheddar)
1 8-10oz Ham steak with fat trimmed off and chopped into small bite size pieces
2 large crowns of Broccoli
1/3 cup bread crumbs

DIRECTIONS

Preheat over to 350

Cook pasta according to boxed directions. once cooked drain, and rinse under hot water. Put pasta back into stockpot and set aside.

In medium skillet brown chopped ham steak. Once cooked place in stockpot with pastas and set aside.

In a steamer steam broccoli for about 4 minutes (broccoli should still be firm) once time is up remove from steamer and cut into pieces and place in stockpot.

Over medium heat melt butter in large sauce pan. Once butter is melted add flour. Let cook until mixture becomes slightly browned. Add milk and stir until it is boiling and has thicken.

Mix in salt and add cheese in slowly keep stirring until cheese is fully melted and smooth. Once this is done add all the cheese mixture into the stockpot and mix together well.

Pour mixture into a 13x9 SPRAYED glass baking dish and top with bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes and until bubbling around the edges.

Let mac rest for 2-3 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment