Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sweet Potato Casserole w/ Marshmallow and Cornflake Topping


I feel like every holiday, my husband likes to add more work to my day. My down fall is I love to cook and try new things so I never say no. This year he asked that I make him a potato casserole. I am not a sweet potato fan so I didn't plan on having it on my meal plan for the day, but since he asked so nicely I couldn't say no.

In my search for the perfect recipe I came across a lot of recipes, but nothing that really make me go that sounds like a great recipe. So I decided that I would take the main ingredients, doctor it up by adding a few ingredients and adding others ingredients so I could tailor it to my husband's likes and dislikes. I also went as far as to change the cooking methods and techniques, I am pleased to say, that I was so happy with the way it came out, and I just had to taste it for myself. Like I said before I am not a fan of sweet potatoes, but this recipe was so good that I actually had a full serving at Thanksgiving.

The fact that I actually enjoyed it means that they recipe had to be pretty amazing. My husband enjoyed it so much that he asked if I could use this recipe on a regular bases. So it appears that it got the seal of approval with the family.

Happy Cooking!

Inspired by the food network kitchen

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:


5 pounds sweet potatoes pealed and cut into large chunks
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the preparing the pan
4 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
salt to taste
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 large pinch of grated nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
3/4 heavy cream
about 1 cup of mini Marshmallow
2 cups cornflakes (enough to cover the top of the casserole)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

On a large stockpot add water (enough to cover sweet potatoes)

Put the sweet potatoes into boiling water and allow to boil until tender.

Drain from water and set aside to cool.

Scoop the sweet potato into blender and blend until smooth.

Transfer potato puree into a stand mixer and add the eggs, butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, pepper and heavy cream.

Blend until mixture until smooth.

Butter a casserole dish and pour the sweet potato mixture into the pan.

Then top with a little layer of mini marshmallows, now top that with cornflakes.

Bake until puffed, and cornflakes are browned (about 30 minutes.)

Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment