Sunday, November 28, 2010

Bobby Flay's Parker House Rolls


Let me draw you a picture...it's Thanksgiving morning and the bakery that I get my bread from is closed. The nearest bakery that I've used and trust is 20 miles away. We are hosting Thanksgiving and neither my husband or I can afford to spend an hour in the car just to go pick up bread. So the only thing left to do is to try baking my own batch.

We don't really eat much bread with dinner, but since we where having a late dinner, my thought was that late afternoon people might get hungry and want to make some mini sandwiches. So I was left with on other choice but to try to bake my very first dinner roll. Yes, I've made a loaf of bread before, but something about working with yeast is intimidating.

Luckily this recipe was easy enough that the end result was terrific. This will surely be a recipe that I use over and over again, especially when we have dinner guests. Hope you all enjoy them as much as I did.

Happy Baking!

Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay



WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

1 1/2 cups milk
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for brushing
1/2 cup sugar
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
6 cups all-purpose flour

WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO DO:

Place milk in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.

Remove from the heat, stir in the butter and sugar and let cool.

Dissolve yeast in warm water and let sit until foamy. (about 10-15 minutes)

Combine milk mixture, eggs, yeast, salt, and 1/2 of the flour in a mixer with the dough attachment and mix until smooth.

Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and stir until a smooth ball forms.

Remove from the bowl and knead by hand on a floured surface for about 5 minutes.

Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. (this will take about an hour)

On a floured surface, punch down the dough and shape into desired shapes.

Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.

Dust rolls with flour and cover again and let rise until doubled, (another 30 to 40 minutes.)

Preheat the oven 350 degrees F.

Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment