Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Port Cranberry Sauce


I Love Thanksgiving! Not only because I get to cook, but also because it's all about spending time with the ones you love. I find that other holidays have become so commercialized that we, as consumers are more concerned with finding the perfect gift and we loss sight of what we're celebrating. Thanksgiving in my mind is all about looking back on the passed year and being grateful for everything we have.

I also feel that Thanksgiving is about the traditional foods. How can one have Turkey without the traditional cranberry sauce? Answer...You can't! What pulled me into this recipe is the fact that it calls for Port wine. Being that I'm Portuguese I have tons of bottles of Port wine, I thought I could give this traditional American dish a Portuguese twist, like your truly! =)

This was a great recipe and I will surely make it on Thanksgiving for my guests. I hope you all enjoy it as much as my husband has.

Recipe adapted of Emeril

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

12 oz cranberries
1 orange, juiced and grated orange zest
1 cup Port
1 cup sugar, (cranberries can be very tart)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cornstarch

WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO DO

In a small saucepan combine cranberries, orange juice and zest, port, sugar and cinnamon.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmering and cook until cranberries are tender, stirring occasionally.

Take off heat and puree in blender (if you want whole cranberries in your sauce skip this step) Then return cranberry sauce to heat in saucepan.

In a small cup make a slurry with cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water.

Whisk cornstarch mixture into cranberry sauce and cook, whisking, until sauce thickens.

Let cook and serve with turkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment