Sunday, May 2, 2010

Stuffed Sausage Bread


So why stuffed sausage bread you might wonder, well it's simple...My husband is not a huge fan of pizza, however he will eat homemade pizza and enjoy it, as long as I not make it every week and I change up the pizza toppings.

The plan for this week was I was going to make sausage and turkey meatball pizza...I mean that was the plan until my husband informed me that he had pizza two times that week at work. So now I thinking, I have dough that is going to go bad, what else can I do with it... then it came to me why not make a stuffed bread and that is exactly what I ended up doing. Needless to say it came out really good and my husband and son both enjoyed it.

Pizza dough recipe courtesy Tyler Florence, the rest of the recipe is an original. link to dough recipe below
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/fresh-pizza-dough-recipe/index.html




WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO NEED:

1 Homemade pizza dough (store bought is fine, but I use Tyler Florance's recipe link to pizza dough above)
3 sausage spicy Italian links
1 medium red onion chopped
2-3 medium ALREADY COOKED meatballs sliced thin (I like turkey meat for this)
Olive oil
Garlic salt
Dry basil

WHAT YOU WILL DO:

Preheat oven to 350

Open sausage links and crumble the meat.

In a hot medium saute pan, add crumbled sausage and allow it to brown and cook.

Once sausage it cooked, remove from heat place on paper towel to drain excess fat. Return pan to heat and saute onion.

Once onion is cooked place onions in a small bowl.

While everything cools, take your dough and roll it out into a square.

Once you have rolled out your dough, take the sausage and sprinkle it over the dough, top with onions, and then sliced meatballs.

Starting at one end, take the dough and start rolling it onto itself, to create a log.

Place on cookie sheet and let stand for 15 minutes, once 15 minutes have passed brush the top of the bread with olive oil, sprinkle garlic salt and basil.

Place in oven and let bake for about 30 minutes until it becomes a lite golden brown.

Serve with a side of your favorite sauce. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment