Saturday, May 29, 2010

Cinnamon Apple Waffles


Every weekend I make big batches of breakfast foods so that once Jonathan gets up in the morning I have something ready for him. It is so easy to make pancakes, waffles french toast and freeze them into individual portions. In the morning when I'm trying to get everyone ready to go, the last thing I want to worry about is making breakfast. It's so nice to just pull something out the night before put in in the frig and in the morning all i have to do is put it in microwave to reheat.

So you might be wondering how I came up with this recipe...it's simple I had a recipe for basic Belgian waffles and I just adapted it to include a few extra ingredients. I had bought a jar of unsweetened apple sauce for Jonathan and for some reason I should get him to eat it. I tried a few different times, and each him he refused to eat it. I wasn't about to waste the apple sauce so I decided that I would just try to incorporate it into his pancakes and waffles, and it was a great idea. He loves the waffles and I don't feel guilty about wasting food. So everyone wins.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much and Jonathan has. If you do try this recipe I would love your feedback on how it came out. Happy cooking!

WHAT YOU'LL NEED

2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup of unsweetened organic apple sauce (I use Motts)
2 tablespoons sugar
2-3 tablespoons of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (Always use REAL vanilla extract)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cups milk
non-stick cooking spray

WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO DO:

Preheat the waffle iron according to the manufacturer's instructions.

In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.

In a second bowl use the wooden spoon to beat together the egg yolks and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and eggs have turned a pale yellow.

Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, melted butter, apple sauce, and milk to the eggs and whisk to combine.

Combine the egg-milk mixture with the flour mixture and whisk just until blended. Do not over mix.

In third bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 1 minute.

Using the rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter. Do not overmix!

Coat the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and pour enough batter in iron to just cover waffle grid.

Close and cook as per manufacturer's instructions until golden brown.

Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment