Thursday, December 3, 2009

Pureed Veggie Soup with Orzo


As a child I remember my mother having a big pot of soup going on the back burner. She actually has a stockpot that she refers to as her "soup pot". She always made a fresh pot of soup every week, and one of my favorites is her vegetable soup. Being that I have a little boy, I now find myself wanting him to have the same yummy soups as I did when I was growing up.

The difference between my mother's soup and my version is that I puree all the veggies making it easier for my son to eat it. I hope your little one enjoys it as much as mine does.

INGREDIENTS

* 4 medium white potatoes (I sometimes like to use sweet potatoes)
* 1/2 small onion
* 1 cup of chopped up broccoli
* 1/2 cup of peas (I like to use frozen peas and not the canned ones)
* 4 large carrots cut in large chucks
* 1/2 cup of green beans
* 2 stocks of celery
* 10 cups of water
*1/2 teaspoon of salt
* 1 chicken bouillon
* 3/4 cup Orzo

First thing you need to do is wash all your veggies and chop them all into small pieces. In a stockpot add everything listed above expect the orzo. (That will be added in later).

Let everything simmer until all veggies are cooked. Once all the vegetables are cooked remove them from the liquid and puree in a blender. Once everything is pureed pour mixer into stockpot and mix until everything is mixed in together. Soup will be thick and will require another 1-2 of water. Once the soup starts to boil add in orzo. make sure that you keep stirring the soup because it could stick at this point if left unattended. Soup will be done once orzo is cooked.

This is a very thick hearty soup you can add more water or chicken stock when reheating if you prefer a thinner soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment