Friday, December 11, 2009

Cookie Brownies


During the holidays I feel like I have people dropping by all the time, therefore I feel like I need to have someone on hand just in case I have an unexpected visitor. I like to keep on hand something that is sweet, but not overwhelming. Yesterday I got a call from my old next door neighbor asking if she could come over for a visit. Who am I to say no to a 85 year-old women, who has always treated my family was her own. I wanted to have something to offer her when she came over for coffee. I was thinking about baking a coffee cake however I didn't have all the ingredients I needed. I did however have the ingredients to make Cookie Brownies.

So seeing that I have the ingredients to make the cookie brownies I decided that that would go to my never fail brownie recipe from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook Copyright 1999, and just jazz them up a little with my cookie recipe. Here is what I came up with.

One more thing I want to say is you will have a lot of extra cookie dough which you may freeze to use at a later date. I hope you all enjoy the recipe and if you do try it. Let me know what you think.

Ingredients for the brownies

* 1 pound unsalted butter
* 1 pound plus 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
* 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
* 6 extra-large eggs
* 3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
* 2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
* 2 1/4 cups sugar
* 1 ¼ cups flour, divided
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt


Ingredients for cookies
2 FULL cups plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
12 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened (1.5 sticks)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup granulated sugar (I only used 1/4 cup since I was adding more chips)
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used 1 3/4 cups I love chocolate chips!)

MAKE COOKIE DOUGH AS FOLLOWS:

Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl; set aside. Cream together butter and sugars until thoroughly combined. Beat in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and beat at low-speed until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.


NEXT MAKE BROWNIE BATTER:

Melt together the butter, chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly. Stir together the eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.

Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss chocolate chips with flour to coat. Then add to the chocolate batter. Pour into prepared pan.

Once you have the brownie mix in the pan take small scoops of cookie dough and drop into of brownies. Then bake for about 40 minutes, or until tester comes out clean. Do not overbake! Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment