Saturday, December 12, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas


I find that it is hard find recipes that are both easy to make after a day at work and that are also something that I would consider to be healthier. Like everyone else I do love the "unhealthier" versions but do I really want to feed my son that? I know that when he is older I wouldn't be able to control is food intake, but for now all I can do is try to instill good food habits and hope that he follows them later in life.

I came across a enchilada recipe that I didn't think was too "bad", but I did make a lot of changes so I could feel better about serving it to my family. Needless to say I am happy with the final product. And I plan on making his for my family anytime we crave Mexican food.

FYI...You can't see the cheese on the Enchilada because A) I used only a little cheese on top and B) The cheese that I used was white... I ran out of yellow. But it was still very tasty.

Yields about 6-8 servings

What you will need

2 cups of chopped cooked chicken or turkey (3 boneless skinless chicken breasts)
1 cup of mixed peppers (I do prefer using more red peppers than green)
1 chopped onion
1/2 package of cream cheese cubed (I use the Philadelphia 1/3 less fat but you may use regular cream cheese if you wish)
8 OZ of salsa divided
8 6-inch tortillas (I like to use wheat)
12 OZ of 2% cheddar cheese or Mexican blend cheese
1/4 cup 2% milk
Fat free sour cream (optional)

Directions:

Stir chicken, peppers, cream cheese and 1/2 the salsa in saucepan on LOW heat until cream cheese is melted.

Take 1/3 cup of chicken mixture and place in the center of each tortilla. Roll enchilada up and place seam-side down in lightly greased 12x8 inch baking dish.

Stir cheese and milk in sauce pan on LOW until smooth. Pour sauce over Tortillas, then cover with foil.

****Before covering spray foil with cooking spray to prevent any toppings from sticking.****

Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Before serving top with remaining salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment