Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Spicy Pulled Pork


What can I say about pork...the other white meat, besides that this dish has made it's way into our lives and will continue to stay for a very only time. My husband is not a fan of pork, mostly because he finds it to be dry. The day I told him that I was going to be making pulled pork sandwiches he didn't appear to be too excited to try it. Which to me was a major bummer because I was looking forward to it.

Once dinner time rolled around he actually eat a huge sandwich and asked if he could have another. After dinner he stated that he was in state of "food comma" but wanted to know if this recipe could be put on our regular meal plan rotation. So I knew that this dish was a hit. Based on his reaction to the dish I have decided that next time I have a Pot-luck dinner to go to, this will be what I bring.

The funny thing about this recipe is that I didn't find myself making all kinds of changes to the recipe like I always do with anything else that I make. I did however take two recipes for pulled pork and combined them to make this one. The outcome of combining the two recipes was amazing. Both recipes I used were great on their own, however I think together it's out of this world. (We are spice fans in this house LOL!) I hope that if you try it that you will come back and let me know how it came out. Good or bad I would love to get your take on it.


This recipe was adapted from...
both Melissa's blogs (http://melissaheartsfood.blogspot.com/2009/07/slow-cooker-pulled-pork.html and BrigetMc food blog http://www.crumblycookie.net/2008/05/30/crockpot-pulled-pork/


What you will need

6lb bone-in pork shoulder
2 cans or bottle root beer
1 bottle your favorite BBQ sauce
Burger Buns (We like Whole Wheat Bun)
1 medium tomato sliced (my husband like the fresh crisp taste with the pork)

What you will need for your Spice Rub

1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper

What you need to do....

Mix all dry spice rub ingredients in small bowl.

Rub spices into meat and then Wrap tightly refrigerate over night

Next morning place unwrapped pork into crock pot, cover with root beer, and cook on low for 8-9 hours, until meat falls apart without your help.

Remove pork from crock pot and discard all liquid in crock pot.

With two forks remove any access fat and shred pork shoulder. The meat should appear to be "falling apart" on it's own.

Once meat is shredded place it back into your crock pot and add a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce.

Let the meat heat on low for another hour.

And your done!

3 comments: