Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Basic Chicken Soup


I don't know if the reason I loved my mother's chicken soup was because it had tons of my favorite veggies or if it was loaded with my favorite pasta... whatever the case may be, as a child nothing was better that my mother's homemade soups. To this day I still feel that she is the best cook/baker ever!

This chicken soup recipe is very basic, but so very yummy. I have found that it's my go to recipe whenever I'm in the mood for (my idea of) comfort good. You get a nice bowl soup that is packed with wonderful flavor without all the guilt that goes with it.

I hope you all enjoy my mother's chicken soup recipe as much as I have over the years. Happy cooking!


WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 large carrots, chopped into small pieces
2 stalks celery, finely diced
4 cups water
2 cups low sodium chicken stock (I make my own)
2 skinless chicken breasts
a few sprigs of chopped parsley (I think that the parsely really makes the soup flavorful)
1 cup orzo (You can use any kind I prefer to use small pastina stars, letters or orzo but you could use any kind of pasta)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 chicken bouillon

WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO DO:

Begin by heating oil in large heavy pot.

Cook onion and celery until they become translucent.

In another dish, season chicken pieces liberally with salt and pepper and then place chicken in pot and brown, about 5 minutes.

Add carrots and cover with water and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour on low.

Remove chicken from soup and let cool.

Once chicken has cooled, remove meat from bones, shred chicken and return meat to pot and stir in parsley and noodles.

Cook for another 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment