Tuesday, July 20, 2010

No mayo Pasta Salad


I hate the fact that a "traditional" pasta salad has to included mayo. In fact it appears that all salads are made with it...potato salad, tuna salad, egg salad and pasta salad. I understand that it's a nice summer side dish, and on hot days people like to have something cold to help cool down, but my question is why must it be covered in fat and extra calories?

I'm always looking to make anything I cook, or bake a little healthier and pasta salad is no exemption. So here is my take on a healthier, less fat pasta salad. My husband and I think it came out great. Hope you enjoy.

Happy cooking!

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

1 pound of any kind of pasta, cooked, drained (I like bow-tie whole wheat pasta)
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1/2 pepper, finely diced (I prefer red peppers, but I used what I had at home which was a green pepper)
1 small red onion finely chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1 tablespoon flaked garlic
Salt, and fresh ground pepper to taste
1/2 to 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (enough to cover ingredients)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

****NEXT TIME I PLAN ON ADDING 1 CUP OF CHOPPED BROCCOLI.

WHAT YOU WILL HAVE TO DO:

Once pasta is cooked and drained toss back into pot.

Add all your diced veggies, season with bay seasoning, garlic flakes, salt and pepper.

In small blow mix together olive oil and vinegar, then pour into pot.

Mix all ingredients together until everything is combined well.

Put in frig until ready to serve!

All that is left to do is Enjoy your meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment