Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Bacon Eggs and Potato Salad


We were invited to a friend's house this weekend for a Memorial Day BBQ, and like always I asked what I could bring. At first she asked me to bring a pasta salad, but later she called me and asked that I bring something else because she already had someone bringing a pasta salad. Lucky I hadn't gone to the store and bought everything I needed yet, so I asked her what I could bring in place of that, her response was maybe a potato salad.

So Sunday afternoon I spent the day thinking about what I could do to make my potato salad great and like any other time when I'm in a jam I turned to the women on the nest and PearlieGirl'sMom shared a recipe that she was making and i took her recommendation and adapted it to work for me. Thanks to PearlieGirl'smom for inspiration. This was an such a great side dish!

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

4 pounds small red potatoes scrubbed and quartered
1 pound bacon, chopped
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 cup lite or fat free mayonnaise (You might need to add more mayo depending on your own preference)
3 tablespoons mustard
6 scallions, finely chopped
1 red onion, finely diced
i red bell pepper finely chopped (You could use any color pepper here)
2 tablespoons sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
a few sprigs of dill chopped

WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO DO:

Place potatoes in cold water in a large pot.

Bring to a boil and turn down the heat to medium, letting them cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes. (do not over cook your potatoes you don't want them to fall apart when mixing all the ingredients together later.)

In a small pot bring eggs to a boil and let cook until eggs are hard boiled, once cool peel and chop eggs set aside for later.

In a skillet, saute bacon on low heat until crispy.

Place bacon on a paper towel and discard the grease, once cool chop bacon into small pieces.

Drain the potatoes, but DO NOT rinse them under cold water. Let them cool for about 6 to 8 minutes on a sheet pan.

In a small bowl combine vinegar, mayonnaise, mustard, scallions, onion, sugar, pepper,dill, and salt and pepper.

Transfer potatoes to a mixing bowl and sprinkle bacon and hard boiled eggs over them.

Then fold mayonnaise mixture into the potatoes and put in the frig for 2 hours to cool before serving.

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment