Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cabbage Soup


Let me just say that...I LOVE cabbage soup! As a child I still remember that every week my mother would make a huge pot of soup for the week. Each week she would make a different soup, but every time she made cabbage soup I would skip "main dish" at dinner, and just have a big bowl of soup(or 2) LOL!

Now that I have my own little guy I want to make sure that he too eats the things that I grew up on. This is also a great way for me to ensure that he gets as many veggies as possible into his diet. I hope you all enjoy this as much as my family and I.

HAPPY COOKING!

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

3 med/large carrots chopped into large chunks
1 med onion chopped into large chunks
4 large russet potatoes chopped into large chunks
1 garlic clove
1 can of red kidney beans
1 med size head of cabbage (I prefer a savoy cabbage)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 chicken bouillon
stock pot filled a little more than half way with water

WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO DO:

Put your stock pot with water on high heat, and carrots, onion, potatoes, kidney beans, garlic, and bouillon.

Once the soup begins to boil being the heat down in a med heat and allow veggies to cook about 20 minutes.

Once the veggies are cooked, remove pot from heat and puree with hand held blender.

After veggies have been pureed you will notice that the soup will have a thick creamy like appearance.

Return soup to stove top let it come to a simmer make sure that you stir the soup so that it does not stick to the bottom of your stock pot.

Once the soup has come to a simmer add your chopped/bite size pieces of cabbage, and olive oil and let cook for an additional 8-10 minutes until cabbage is cooked.

Remove from heat, and let sit for a few minutes.

Enjoy with your favorite bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment