Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bacalhau (salted cod) with Smashed Red Potatoes (Bacalhau com batatas a murro)


What can I say to describe how wonderful this dish is? Honestly it's such a healthy simple dish that it amazes me how fast and easy it all come together. I try to incorporate fish into our weekly meal plan at least twice a week...does it always happen...no, but I do tend to make salted cod twice a month.

I have been meaning to blog about this recipe for months now...but every time I make it we never seem to have any leftovers, however this time I told my husband he had to wait for his dinner until I took a picture. I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do. Happy cooking!

Yields 3-4 servings....

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

1-1.5 lbs of salted cod...(per-soaked fir at least 24 hours changing the water at least 3 times)
6-8 medium red potatoes scrubbed
3 cloves of garlic minced
5 tablespoons of olive oil ( use the good stuff it make a huge difference)
3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO DO:

Preheat oven to 450

scrub potatoes will and season with a little of salt and pepper. place potatoes on cookie sheet and bake until they become tender...(medium size potatoes will take about 30 minutes on 450)

While the potatoes are baking season salted cod with some pepper and grill on low. The time for this will vary based upon the thickness of your salted) Dish is cooked when fish begins to flake...(1-1.5 inch thickness should talk about 10 minutes on each side for a total of 20 minutes cooking time)

In a small bowl combine olive oil, garlic, and red wine vinegar mix together until well combined.

Once potatoes are done cooking place on serving dish and smash the potatoes with hand.

Once fish is fully cooked let sit for about 3-4 minutes to cool slightly, and then using your hands or fork...flake fish into bite size chunks.

Drizzle the garlic/vinegar/olive oil "dressing" over everything and mix together.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh...this does sound so good! My local grocery store just started carring salt cod and am tempted to buy it but unshore about the quality. So how do I know what good salt cod is???
    You should do a post on cooking with salt cod :)
    -Maria

    ReplyDelete