Sunday, April 11, 2010

Traditional Chicken Salad



The other day I took out a few chicken breast for dinner, unfortunately my son ended up getting sick with the stomach bug, and my in-laws decided that they would come up to help take care of him. When my father-in-law comes to town he always cooks, (which I love, because he can really cook.) The only thing is he doesn't really cook much with chicken.

Long story short my chicken ended up sitting in the frig for a few extra days, and to avoid it from going bad I ended up poaching the chicken to make chicken soup for my son for the week, and the extra chicken I used to make some chicken salad. Totally different from what I had originally planned. However, I must say that this recipe was really good and was a great way of using up leftover chicken. The best part about it is that both my husband and son loved it.

Recipe adapted from the Food Network link below
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/chicken-salad-recipe/index.html

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

4 cups diced cooked chicken
1 stalk celery, finely diced
4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh dill
1 cup prepared mayonnaise (I like to use the reduced fat/lite mayo)
2 teaspoons strained freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO DO:

In a mixing bowl, toss together the chicken, celery, scallions and herbs. Set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper.

Add to the chicken and mix gently until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

So simple, yet so good! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment