Sunday, February 20, 2011

Vanilla/German Chocolate Cake Cupcakes with Oreo Bottoms (What's Baking Challenge)





Let me first state that this recipe yields a large batch of cupcakes...If I am not mistaken, I made about 35-36 cupcakes with this recipe. Which is why this recipe is great for parties. I hope you all enjoy! And now for a little back history on why I decided to make a vanilla/German cupcake.

For Valentine's day I wanted to make something special for my little guy, and of course my husband. Valentine's day has always been a low key night for us, and to be honest I would much rather stay in, have a nice dinner and treats apposed to going out. Valentine's day/night has long been known for long waits for over priced and less than average meals. Hence one of the many reason we do not go out to dinner on or around that day.

This year for I made Rigatoni Di Gregorio from Annie's Eats (which was really good!) and wanted to try making cupcakes to go along with that. Trying to pick a cupcake to go with that meal was hard in it's self. All I knew was I wanted to make something different and I couldn't make up my mind between vanilla or German chocolate cupcakes. Since I was unable to make up my mind, I decided that I would try to make a combination cupcake.

I was kind of nervous on how it would turn out and if the flavor profiles would work well together. And I am very happy to report that I was so pleased with the way they came out. They were so lite and fluffy. I honestly think they are the best cupcake I've ever made. I really can't wait to make them again for Jonathan's Birthday this spring.

If you try them, please let me know what you think. Happy Baking!

German Chocolate cake recipe inspired by Bobby Flay http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/german-chocolate-cake-with-coconut-pecan-cajeta-frosting-recipe/index.html


***THIS RECIPE YIELDS 36 CUPCAKES***

WHAT YOU'LL NEED FOR THE VANILLA PART OF THE CUP CAKE

2 cups sugar
2 sticks of unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup water
2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (like always use the real stuff)
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt

WHAT YOU'LL NEED FOR THE GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE:

1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, at room temperature,
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups strong brewed black coffee, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO DO:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Line three 12-cup cupcake tins with paper liners.

In the bottoms of each paper liner add half (one side) of an Oreo cookie.

Process sugar and butter in a food processor until very creamy, scraping sides as needed, for about 2 minutes.

Add the eggs and yolks, one at a time, pulsing after each addition.

Add the milk, water, and vanilla and process to blend.

Whisk both flours, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.

Add the dry ingredients, in 3 batches to the wet, pulsing, and then scraping batter off the sides of the processor as needed after each addition.

Process until the batter is very smooth and pourable like pancake batter, about 2 minutes.

Evenly pour the batter into the prepared cups, filling them 1/2 of the way full.

Put into oven and bake for about 8 minutes (this is the time that it should take to make the second cupcake batter)

**NOW in it's time to mix the German Chocolate cake**

Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl.

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.

Whisk in the cocoa powder and cook for 1 minute.

Remove from the heat, add both sugars and whisk until the sugar has dissolved.

Add the coffee, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract and continue whisking until smooth and just combined.

Add the dry ingredients and stir until the batter is smooth.

Remove cupcake from oven and now spoon chocolate batter on top very slowly.

Once the cupcake tins have been filled return to oven and allow to bake for another 10-12 (or until fully baked)

Let the cupcakes cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes, and let cool at least 1 hour before frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment