Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mongolian Beef with Veggies over White Rice


OMG! Last night I made the most amazing Mongolian Beef Thanks to Joelen. For some reason I was craving some Asian food, and being that my husband is Chinese he is always ready. But let's face it... the only time my husband gets "real" Chinese food is when we go to my in-laws for the weekend. However this recipe was so good that you would have thought my mother-in-law had been in town. I did make a few minor changes to Joelen's recipe below you will find the link to her blog so you can see the original recipe. I hope that you try this recipe. Either this one or the original recipe I promise you wouldn't be disappointed with either recipe! It was so good that we only had a little bit left over =(

This recipe is so easy and so fast to make it should only take 30 minutes from start to finish.

Adapted from http://joelens.blogspot.com/2007/07/chinese-flair-farewell.html

FYI The picture does not have broccoli in it because it was so tasty that we finished it all before I was able to take the picture.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

1.5 Lbs of beef sliced thin (I like to use New York strip steaks but you can use any cut. Also put beef in freezer for about 30 minutes, that way the meat will be firmer and easier to cut into thin slices)
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 tablespoon of onion powder
2 tablespoons of cornstarch (I actually omitted this because I forgot)
1 med onion chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic
1/2 a pepper pepper chopped
1.5 cup of broccoli
1/4 cup oyster sauce plus an extra tablespoon for later
1/4 cup soy sauce plus an extra tablespoon for later
salt
pepper
1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (we like spicy)
1/2 teaspoon of sriracha hot chili sauce (again we like spicy, this can be found in the Asian section at your local store or in any Asian market.)

Season beef with a little salt and pepper. Add garlic powder, onion powder, the extra tablespoon of oyster sauce, and extra tablespoon soy sauce. Set aside and let marinate for 15 minutes.

At this point you might want to start your pot of rice while the beef is marinating because believe it or not the rice will take longer time to cook than the beef.

Sprinkle corn starch over and set aside (I forgot to do this step)

In a hot pan saute garlic, onion, and red pepper in oil until softened

Add meat and add broccoli florets until beef brown.

Mix oyster sauce and soy sauce together and add to pan to coat everything.

Remove from heat, and but over a bed of white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment