Monday, January 25, 2010

Lemon Parsley Rissoto


I have never, ever made a risotto, nor have I ever had a "true" risotto for that matter. I have always wanted to make it, and this passed week I finally found the rice in my local grocery store and picked up a box to make at a later date.

Last night my plan was to make a roasted chicken and roasted potatoes, when my husband called stating that he had just bought red snappers for Monday night's dinner (which I always make roasted potatoes as a side.) So I had to find another side dish to go with my chicken. I was not about to make roasted potatoes 2 night in a row.

Luckily enough I remembered that I had just bought the rice and I could make a risotto and I turned to the wonderful ladies on What's Cooking, MaryEllen was wonderful enough to share her risotto tag with me. She has so many different risottos in her blog that I had a hard time picking one to make. I finally decided to go with her lemon and parsley risotto because it sounded easy enough for a first timer, I also thought it would be a nice earthy flavor to go with my roasted chicken.

Needless to say it was a hit with my husband he must have told me at least 2 to 3 times that the risotto excellent. My son who is 20 months old, had leftovers for lunch today and liked it so much that he kept asking for "more".

Adapted for MaryEllen's food blog. Thanks MaryEllen for saving my dinner. Link to MaryEllen's blog is below.

http://mecookingcreations.blogspot.com

The whole process should take about 20-25 minutes.


WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

3 tbsp unsalted butter (divided into 1 tbsp each, you will have 3 pieces)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Cups of Arborio rice
3 Cups chicken broth (I make my own broth but you can also use any canned broth)
1.5 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c shredded Parmesan cheese
Handful chopped fresh parsley
about 3 tbsp lemon juice
Lemon zest from half a lemon

WHAT YOU WILL HAVE TO DO:

Heat chicken broth in sauce pan

In another pot add about 4 cups of water (I kinda just eye balled it). Let come to a boil. Once the water is boiling add salt and your Arborio rice.

In a small bowl zest half a lemon and then juice the lemon to get about 3tbsp of lemon juice, add garlic, add your fresh ground pepper and set aside.

Let Rice cook, you will notice that the rice is soaking up the water, at this time use ladle and add one ladle of broth.

Continue to stir rice, as rice soaks up fluid add another ladle of broth. (It should take 3-3.5 ladles of broth.)

Add 1 piece of butter at a time and continue to stir your rice.

Once you have added all your butter, add your lemon pepper mixture and stir. Once well incorporated add parsley stir and serve right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment